In the hours, days, weeks following a youth suicide, there are many questions and usually few answers. The entire school and larger community are affected. Teachers, principals, and others in charge of responding and leading the school are struggling and grieving, too. They need considerable support and guidance during this difficult time.
Upon request from a school principal or superintendent, The Sky Center/NMSIP’s postvention team, a highly-trained group of professional and community volunteers, is activated. They provide:
• support to school faculty and staff and implement an immediate plan of action
• a safe environment to identify students who may be at elevated suicide risk
• education to parents on suicide prevention and how to keep their children safe
• assistance to school administration in returning to normal school routine
• on-going education and support to the school community
• education to local media on language and protocol around youth suicide
• access to a network of resources.
All of the services described are provided at the school or community site and tailored to specific needs. If you are in need of these services, contact:
The Sky Center at 505-473-6191 or